Sunday, February 2, 2014

Slot car gears, dead PC and really cold weather.

 




 Not much has been going on in the shop lately because it has been so F*&%$ cold.  But a friend asked me to make some slot car pinion gears. I used to make them on a manual mill drill years ago. It was very time consuming. The shoulder and axle hole are still done manually,some day I will build a CNC lathe.

  So I fired up the CNC mill and nothing happened, the 12 year old PC mother board died. I took the hard drive (was only three years old) and RAM out and installed it in an Compaq PC that i picked up along road for free. Installed  Mach3 and screen sets, but my configuration save file was not up dated since the mill was built  years ago. No settings were saved for the spindle,4th axis, tool change macros and screen settings. My advice is make sure you save a config file each time the mill is upgraded.

new PC, a little smaller than the old  one
old PC
     Oh yeah,I almost forgot about the slot car gears.  Just .3125 inches in diameter with 15 teeth for the rear axle. I don't know what type of car they fit, I just make them. Will add a machining video later.








No comments:

Post a Comment